The two Horizon 2020 projects ENSMOV and streamSAVE organised a joint workshop discussing the issue of additionality in the context of Article 7 of the Energy Efficiency Directive (EED). The workshop presented approaches to address additionality in energy savings calculations and policy monitoring and evaluation, illustrated with practical examples from Belgium and the UK.
ENSMOV and streamSAVE are two Horizon 2020 projects both dealing with the implementation of the Energy Efficiency Directive (EED), and more specifically its Article 7.
Additionality is one of the key principles for the implementation of Article 7 EED and related Annex V, and also one of the most challenging: “The savings shall be shown to be additional to those that would have occurred in any event without the activity of the obligated, participating or entrusted parties, or implementing public authorities. To determine the savings that can be claimed as additional, Member States shall have regard to how energy use and demand would evolve in the absence of the policy measure in question by taking into account at least the following factors: energy consumption trends, changes in consumer behaviour, technological progress and changes caused by other measures implemented at Union and national level”.(EED Annex V (2)(a))
- Introduction, Ivana Rogulj, IEECP
- Introducing the additionality issue: what challenges? what approaches? Samuel Thomas, RAP (ENSMOV project)
- Handling additionality in energy savings calculations: examples from the streamSAVE methodologies, Gema Millan Ballesteros, CIRCE (streamSAVE project)
- Case 1: How to estimate article 7 energy efficiency savings to conform with Annex V: introducing EVs in the federal car fleet (Belgium), Niels Smeets, Federal ministry of economy, and Kelsey van Maris, VITO –Belgium
- Case 2: Additionality at policy level–lessons from the UK, Laura Edwards, BEIS –UK
Another event was co-organised by the two projects at the Concerted Action EED: Info session – New resources for the implementation of Article 7 EED: discussing lessons learnt about savings calculations and M&V.